Oct 19 2007
I have been selected as a presenter at the Business Objects conferences hosted in the United States every year from 1996 through 2009. I consider it quite an honor to be selected year after year as I assume it means that I am doing something right. I have started posting my most recent presentations here on my blog and as I have time hope to work my way backward to post stuff from previous years as well. The most current presentations will always be on the top of the list.
As of the 2009 GBN conference I am going to try to start including links to related posts. A “related post” is one where I have taken a series of slides from a presentation and written up a blog post about that part of the presentation. It’s almost like being there to hear me talk, but without the bad puns and terrible jokes. If there aren’t any related posts listed it means I have not written them yet, or perhaps I have not had the time to go back through and index them here.
SAP Insider BI 2012 Conference – Las Vegas
- Leveraging Report Variables for More Robust SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence Reporting (238KB zip)
This session revisited several of my old “variables” tricks from prior years and packaged them into a new session. Some of the techniques discussed in this session are covered by existing blog posts, listed below. The BI 2012 folks liked long presentation titles.
- Calculation Options
- Constants, Formulas, and Variables, Oh My!
- Using ForceMerge() To Fix Unbalanced Data Providers
- Calculation Context Part I: Overview
I intend to write more context prompts to support this presentation, and when they are ready will hopefully remember to update this page…
- Displaying UserResponse() Values On Separate Rows
- Using a “Magic Date” Value in Prompts
- Universe Design Techniques Proven to Boost Front-End Performance (279KB zip)
SAP BusinessObjects User Conference 2011 – Orlando (SBOUC)
Twitter hashtag #SBOUC
- Building a Data Warehouse: Data Modeling (303KB zip)
Werner Daehn gets credit for most of this presentation as he pulled the majority of the information together. I added a few slides and delivered the presentation at the conference. This session was the first of a conference-long continued subject that was intended to show the complete process, starting with modeling and ETL and going all the way through to final report delivery.
- Designer Essentials (574KB zip)
SAP BusinessObjects User Conference 2010 – Orlando (SBOUC)
Twitter hashtag #SBOUC
- Discovery Versus Delivery: A Comparison of Client Reporting Tools (261KB zip)
- Don’t Lose Control: Change Management Strategies for Universe Designers (298KB zip)
GBN Conference 2009 – Dallas
- Return of the Variables (386KB zip)
- Universe Models for Recursive Data (734KB zip)
- Universe Models For Recursive Data Part I: Introduction
- Universe Models For Recursive Data Part II: Design Challenges
- Universe Models For Recursive Data Part III: Alias Versus Flattened
Additional related posts are coming (Work In Progress)
Both of the above presentations were also presented at the 2010 Mastering BusinessObjects conference in Melbourne, Australia.
GBN Conference 2008 – Dallas
- Universe Designer Essentials and Beyond (218KB Zip)
- Designer XI 3 New Feature: Extended Prompt Syntax
- Designer XI 3 New Feature: Class Restrictions
- Designer XI 3 New Feature: Database Delegated Measures
- Context Versus Alias Overview
- Time-Sliced Measures Part I: Defining the Problem
- Time-Sliced Measures Part II: Time Slice Calendar Table
- Time Sliced Measures Part III: Making Measures
Insight Americas 2007 – Orlando
- Tales of a Universe Ninja: Part One (834K Zip)
Also presented at Insight Europe 2008
- Tales of a Universe Ninja: Part Two (759K Zip)
Older presentations listed below will be posted as I get time.
Insight Americas 2006 – San Francisco
- Under the Covers: Universe Designer in XI R2
- Web Intelligence XI R2 Goodies
Also presented at Insight Europe 2007
Insight Americas 2005 – Orlando
- More Tips of the Universe Masters
Business Objects Americas 2004 – Dallas
- BusinessObjects and WebIntelligence Reporting Essentials
- Best of Variables
BONYMAUG 2004 – New York
Business Objects Americas 2003 – Phoenix
- Even More Variables…
Business Objects Americas 2002 – Miami
- MORE Variables and More
Business Objects Americas 2001 – Las Vegas
- Variables and More… Fourth Edition
This was and remains my highest-rated presentation. Ever.
Business Objects Americas 2000 – Washington, DC
- Variables and More (Third Edition)
Business Objects Americas 1999 – San Diego
- Advanced Universe Design
Business Objects Americas 1998 – Orlando
- Variables and More Variables! … The Sequel
Business Objects Americas 1997 – New Orleans
- Variables and More Variables!
The first of a long series of fun tricks with the reporting tools…
Business Objects Americas 1996 – San Francisco
- Extending the Power of Business Objects
This session was based on 4.0 and used the original scripting language for a number of tricks. 4.1 replaced the original script language with VBA instead. As such, the code samples are no longer valid and this session will not be available for download.